The Long Beach Harbor Marina is located on the Eastside of the Henry Ford bridge, also known as (the green) Commodore Schuyler F. Heim Lift Bridge which connects Terminal Island with the mainland. The marina is off to the left once you cross the bridge. It was at this marina that I cleaned the boat bottom of a 26 ft sail boat that was owned by the Boy Scouts. I only did underwater work in this marina one time.Long Beach Naval Base - ContinuedThe shipyard developed an ongoing business strategy that resulted in the establishment of the Navy´s largest organic depot with unique repairable rework centers for electronics systems. The shipyard broadened its marketing scope to encompass soliciting for such programs as: modifications, self-help habitability modifications, female habitability modifications to combatants, and increases in manufacturing lines, i.e., jet blast deflectors, butterfly valves, etc. In 1994 Long Beach employed approximately 3,000 civilian employees, approximately 800 MWR and Navy Exchange personnel, and was considered a major industry in the local area. Shipyard payroll is estimated at approximately $142.2M annually, plus $8.4M in MWR and Navy Exchange salaries. The workforce size is comprised of 84.5 percent highly skilled production workers and engineers. The remaining 15.5 percent consisted of administrative and clerical positions. Immediately before World War II it became apparent that a major anchorage and operation area was needed in the Long Beach-Los Angeles-San Pedro area. Public Law 667 (76th Congress) authorized the establishment of a fleet operating base there, as well as land acquisition, harbor breakwater, buildings, and other accessories. The Second Deficiency Bill of 1940 provided $19.8M, and Terminal Island naval dry docks was established. The location was ideal since it is within the doubly protected west basin of the Port of Long Beach and yet only minutes away from the open sea. In times past, the site has been an Indian burial ground, a shark oil center, a rum-runner´s paradise, and a fashionable bathing beach. On 18 December 1940, a one dollar check was given to the city of Long Beach for the acquisition cost of surface rights. Early construction of the Moreell Dry Dock permitted ship work to begin on 7 April 1942. In 1945 an inner breakwater was constructed to protect ships against the surge of open sea waters. During World War II, the naval dry docks provided routine and battle damage repairs to a parade of tankers, cargo ships, troop transports, destroyers, and cruisers. Peak employment of 16,091 civilian employees was reached in August 1945. On 9 February 1943, the Secretary of the Navy established the facilities as the US Naval Dry Docks, Roosevelt Base, California. The name of this facility was changed to Terminal Island Naval Shipyard on 30 November 1945. The name became Long Beach Naval Shipyard (NSY) in March 1948. The Long Beach NSY was placed in an inactive status on 1 June 1950. The Korean War began less than one month later. Reactivation of the shipyard was directed on 4 January 1951. Since then, the shipyard has provided fleet support in the Southern California area. The Long Beach NSY workload consists dominantly of overhaul and maintenance of non-nuclear surface ships of the US Navy. Terminal Island is connected to the mainland via three bridges. To the west, the distinctively green Vincent Thomas Bridge connects Terminal Island with the Los Angeles neighborhood of San Pedro. It is the third longest suspension bridge in California. The Gerald Desmond Bridge connects Terminal Island to downtown Long Beach to the east. The (also green) Commodore Schuyler F. Heim Lift Bridge joins Terminal Island with the Los Angeles neighborhood of Wilmington to the north.